We're hiring! June 20 2016
The Missing Link Bicycle Co-op in Berkeley is currently accepting resumes for a member candidate. We are a democratic workplace in which all members are co-owners who receive an equal wage and have equal status. Member candidates are considered for membership in the cooperative after successfully completing a 1000-hour trial employment period.
We seek candidates who are friendly and forthright, emotionally equipped to do sales in a busy environment, and who are seeking a long-term position. We are looking for someone with a passion for bikes who is interested in the responsibility of collectively running a business. Previous experience in retail, cooperatives, or the bicycle industry is preferred.
We value diversity! Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTIQ community are very much encouraged to apply. EOE.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Assisting customers in the store & on the phone
- Selling bicycles, parts, and accessories
- Performing cashier transactions on Point of Sale system
- Restocking inventory
- Preparing bicycle repair estimates
- Performing tune-ups and repairs
- Assembling new bicycles
- Attending collective meetings and participating in decision-making (if you become a member)
- Performing other duties as needed
- Love of bicycles and the people who ride them
- Enthusiasm for sales
- Technical and mechanical knowledge of bicycles and bicycle products
- Ability to perform repairs and complete bicycle assembly
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers from different backgrounds
- Good interpersonal skills
- Experience with POS systems and other computer applications
- Comfortable in a busy work environment
- Able to take initiative and be self-directed
- Desire for the responsibilities of business ownership
- Able to commit to working a minimum of 25 hours a week, including at least one weekend day
There are many other areas of business administration performed by co-op members where other skills and experience may be a plus, from accounting to graphic design. Tell us how you think you can contribute!
Compensation during candidacy starts at $14/hr, while the wage ultimately increases to $17 an hour with profit sharing if you become a member.
To apply, please email your letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, or drop it off at 1988 Shattuck Avenue in Berkeley.